Moi :-) ! I'm an American AFSer spending a year of high-school in lovely Helsinki, Finland for the 2013-2014 school year-- I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures!!
xxx

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

One Month !? What ??


I looked at my calendar to realize that on Friday I will have lived in lovely Helsinki for ...wait for it ... One month!? How did this happen??

 I assure you this will be the last post of its kind expressing how fast everything's going -as it's not the happiest thing to write about - but it's not an exaggeration to say I blinked,  and whoops August slipped from my fingers! Now I'm clinging to September like a prized china doll. 

But at the same time so much has happened it feels like I've lived here a life time! 

My Second Week of School...

Is now just a blur, but I do remember on Tuesday we had student elections for class government, and I had no idea what was going on because as one of the candidates phrased it: " I'm here to represent everyone who can't understand what the hell is going on, because it's all in F$&@ing Finnish " 
Needless to say , Suomia on vaikeaa. 
(Finnish is difficult) 

I was still feeling like a tourist then, so I didn't feel too awkward about taking some sneaky pictures :) 



We received these cute little Snoopy papers to vote for people on 

Yay! Finnish! And paintings! 
More Finnish! Maybe someday I can translate for you ... (this will transition to my next update but first ... ) 

The hour or so election process ended with some creepy grandma singing happy birthday to us, what?? 
Like. What??
-Exchange Students probs - 


My Finnish Progress 

Right now I'm in Geography class and I don't feel the least bit guilty for blogging in class because the teacher lectures the whole time in Finnish, and I notice things like:

-Finnish words are really, really long . Like. Really long. 
- When words have a lot of vowels (they always do) it looks like they're kissing the air when they talk.
- The only words you really need to know to speak Finnish are " niin" and " Oi"
Oi - when you bump into someone 
Niin- to say everything else 

I also really like the word Jaksaa ( Yahk- saa) 
Which doesn't translate exactly but it's kind of like, " I don't care to do something" 
It's really fun to say, say it a few times and then you'll understand :) 
🎶Jaksaa, Jaksaa , Jaksaa 🎶

After School

One of the great things about living in the center of Helsinki is literally, if you can not see Jäätelo (ice-cream), just walk two blocks any direction and I personally guarantee you will find some, it's everywhere !

It's really good but it doesn't taste like American ice-cream at all ... Actually nothing tastes quite the same as in America, except maybe Bananas. 

For example one day after school my friend Johannes and I baked...

American Cookies 
With Finnish ingredients 



They were yummy, but didn't  taste like they do when I make them in America. I'm actually starting to forget what some American foods taste like!! Just that they're different!


My friends and I ate them before I could take a picture of the final product, but this is what they looked like just before going  in the oven: 

Kamppi  
(and I don't remember if it has two mm's or two p's so I apologize if I've failed at spelling)

Kamppi is sort of like a shopping mall, where my friends and I like to hang out. I say "sort of a shopping mall" because it also has a subway station, and a bus station, and there's always something interesting going on! 

One day there was a really good band playing in the middle of the mall! 
And on different days I've received a free smurf cookie and a balloon! 
And just recently there were giant inflatable hockey players in the middle of the courtyard. I don't know why. There just were. 
(Although to be honest, I rarely know exactly what's going on - sometimes I just appear at museums, or people's houses, or movie theaters.. ) 

Some days after school I go to a park with a friend or friends. There is always a performer of some kind, and some are more eccentric than others. I've seen a tight rope walker, a glass-jug-music-maker, really-good-piano-players, and some random guy who just stood there in a creepy wolf costume -- just to name a few. 

Here are some pretty boats... 


Last Friday night I went to the Helsinki zoo (which is on an island) with my host family. It was open really late for a special "night of the cats" thing. 
There were tigers, leopards, lions, and much more! It was a really lovely zoo and I purchased my own tiikeri (tiger) to take home :)

I'll just touch on a few things from school

One of these things is not like the other...Moomins (white hippos) are everywhere!! 
For art class the teacher made me the model and everyone had 5 minutes to draw me, the drawings were all really good - here's just one of the better ones :) 





Class ends in 4 minutes so I'll tell you about orientation later - and probably elaborate on this post but .. Above is my lovely roommate Hermanni <3













3 comments:

  1. Hi! Just thought I should tell you:
    Oi isn't really something you say when you're sorry, it's more of a word of being surprised - like Oh in english. If you, for example, bump into someone, and want to apologize, you should just say sorry, that what's Finnish people say (in Finnish it's spelled "sori") the actual word is "Anteeksi", but sori is just as good. Also "jäätello" is really spelled jäätelö ;D Good luck with your finnish studies!

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. (*blushes, whoops*)
      ahahahhaha Kiitos paljon ,

      Annabeth

      Delete
  2. If I had to guess, I would say the main reason why Finnish ice-cream doesn't taste the same as american one, is because they are made of different kind of milk. When you get a chance, try out fazer milk chocolate.


    They add sugar to Coca-cola in here&rest of europe, instead of Corn syrup like they do in the states. So If you have never tasted "european version of coca-cola" try it out.


    Nice blog you have, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete