Moi :-) ! I'm an American AFSer spending a year of high-school in lovely Helsinki, Finland for the 2013-2014 school year-- I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures!!
xxx

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Hello Again, remember me :) ?

Since we last spoke 4 major events have taken place, and circa 9,000 smaller ones.

We have some catching up to do.

For this post I'm going to cover three major events :



-Firstly: Thanks-Giving


-Secondly: My New Host Family


-Thirdly: Christmas


- Fourthly: (is that a real word? ) AHA! Were you reading carefully? I said three, let's not be greedy.


I won't have any of my own pictures in this post, but rather the following one, because pictures have caused problems in uploading and blah blah yaddah yaddah wouldn't you just rather hear me talk? Or rather, ramble, because I have no intention of proof reading this ;).



Thanksgiving

The gigantic colorful leaves that covered Helsinki this October had flown to Africa (or where ever they go) and this Thanksgiving was a rather dark day - filled with bright smiles and unfathomably large amounts of delectable food. ( No Turkey though) I wrote on the Facebook:

"Today I'm thankful for my Finnish and American friends and family, and for an unforgettably unique Thanksgiving. My day began with meeting (my cousin) at central station, meeting (a friend of my cousin), and together adventuring around my beautiful Stadis (my use of Finnish slang is a recent thing and you should be really impressed). Among other exciting endeavors, we went skating in front of the train-station, saw some pretty churches, and ate A LOT of good foods (including Fazer ) cousin has promised to post pictures


And words can not describe how thankful I am for the most unconventional Thanksgiving dinners that followed. Filled with laughter and me trying to explain traditions (and laughter at me trying to go about them) My lovely international friends and my host parents all enjoyed our first Finnish-style Thanksgiving Celebration in an Italian restaurant.


I am so blessed."


What I didn't tell in that post was how we went first to fazer then to a Chinese buffet (Happy Food Garden if you're a local) and then I proceeded to go stuff myself with Italian, and chocolate cake, and like. I love food.


I'm officially a moomin.



<--- Me

Okay so you get one picture, but this is the only one! For those of you who don't know Moomins are White Hippos that are kind of like Mickey & Minnie Mouse are to American children, except Finnish. And also they live with this ghoulish-girl-thing called Little My.



I think it's a girl anyway, she gives me the creeps with an emphasis on the eeeeeeps-sound .


Somedays, actually nearly everyday, I'm just so happy I think to myself "is this a dream?" if you (yes you) the reader are considering going on exchange, do it. Don't give me any excuses (or rather yourself)

If you have the opportunity, go.


I digress....



New Host Family

It's been a big shift from living in the center of the center (kartinkaupunki) to living on the outskirts of Helsinki, and generally civilization (gotta bus card, it's pink!), but I'm really happy with the decision.

I now get to live with my host parents, my stylish older host sister (18), my adorable little host sister (8), and sweet host brother (14).


Oh! and our pupu Muu of course! Can't forget her!

*pupu means bunny 

Miila and I share the basement with our own laundry, bathroom, and living space. I only have to journey above ground for like, Food. And also Muu, because she inhabits the penthouse.


I felt at home here almost immediately, and I really love my comfy yellow chair and big wooden desk for doodling... I mean homework.

Around our green house, and under its red roof, we've been watching movies,walking, ice-skating, pullaing, and CHRISTMASING :D


(^ I have awesome transition skills, my English teacher would be proud. It almost makes up for the myriad of made-up words and grammatical errors. Yes? No? I think so)



Joulu

Joulu, which of course means Christmas in Finnish, is not 100% the same as an American Christmas , and to give you  a more to-date recollection  I will again steal from the Facebook:

"Merry Christmas everyone from beautiful Finland! Here we celebrate Christmas on the 24th, because Finland is Santa's home turf! In case you didn't know, he visits every home in Finland in person before making his trip around the world! He's in a lot better shape than I expected :) "


So of course the biggest difference was celebrating a day earlier, and, Santa coming through the front door - that is, instead of magically squeezing himself, the toys, and not to mention his plus-sized-belly through the chimney .


There were also some different foods, including rice-porridge, 10 different pullas (one made with chocolate) , and a array of unique casseroles.


Older sister, äiti, sister's friend, and I remained dolled-up until after 1 am, because we attended the midnight mass at this church named Kannelmäen kirkk
with a tall-pointy, witch-like hat for a roof. I enjoyed the service, and even though this was the blackest Christmas I've ever seen, the light that smiled through the cold windows made me forget my dreams of a white Christmas.
*äiti  means mom




This Kirkko speaks for herself. 

















6 comments:

  1. I'm a Finnish girl from Espoo (near by Helsinki, you might know) and it's so funny to read a foreigner's opinons of our country and traditions :D Have a good spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've traveled to Espoo a few times- lot's of lovely tree's!
      Kiitos, samoin! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey! I`m from Helsinki but I`m this school year in USA, in Utah as an exchange student. It was really nice to read your blog and read about my home city :) It`s really funny cause you`re in the same school with some people that I know. Do you live in Kannelmäki? Have an awesome year there!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes :D I'm sorry I don't keep up with this so well, I hope you're enjoying Utah (land of the Mormans) ;)

      Delete
  3. Hi! Remember me? You live in Kannelmäki? My house is really close and I have a lot of friends thereabouts! Right now I'm in New Zealand though... I hope you enjoy your new family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyllä, mä muistan sä :).
      ja kyllä mä asun kannelmäkissä nyt, on ihana paikka :)
      Mä toivon New Zealand on mahtava :D
      -- Annabeth <3

      Delete